International Institute of Environment Japan (IIEJ)
IIEJ is a nonprofit, nongovernmental organization dedicated to environmental
preservation, as well as international cooperation and exchange.
As a result of the environmental pollution and destruction of nature that have
accompanied recent social and economic advancements, it has become
necessary to protect the environment at both local and global levels in order
to ensure its continuation for future generations.
Our desire is to work with others around the world in order to build a global
community whereby people may coexist over the long term with our natural
environment. We envision a community including citizens, businesses, governments,
and universities whereby individuals will each make a personal
contribution to collective problem solving and action.
Our past Japan-based activities have included co-hosting environmental education
symposiums, holding lectures on topics related to the environment and
international cooperation, conducting nature observation tours, and hosting
an "Arakawa Clean Aid" event aimed at tackling the problem of garbage in the
Arakawa River through research and policy action.
In addition, we have carried out environmental education projects in China
such as a training program for educators of participatory environmental-themed
curricula, and have co-hosted a symposium on environmental education with our
Chinese counterparts. We have also conducted NGO-based research in England,
Bangladesh and Thailand related to such topics as the environment and gender.
At present, we are continuing to conduct activities in China including the
above-mentioned educational training program, as well as an additional water
quality analysis project. In Japan, we are similarly engaged in water-related
education and conservation initiatives based upon a water quality analysis
project, and are spearheading informational campaigns via such methods as
our newsletter and homepage.
Recap of main activities:
1. Newsletter and homepage focusing on such topics as environmental preservation
and education, international cooperation and exchange, citizen involvement,
2. Environmental education initiatives including participatory study seminars,
nature observation tours, symposiums, lectures, etc.
3. Water-related education and conservation initiatives based upon a water quality
4. Environmental research on topics such as groundwater, river water, garbage/waste,
NGO-related scientific and social investigative reports, etc.
5. Activities related to international cooperation and exchange
IIEJ reports released to date:
1. Environmental Education in China and Japan-China Cooperation (Report on the Joint
Japan-China Environmental Education Symposium), 1998
2. Report on the Japan-China Environmental Education Study Seminar, 1999
(supplement to 1998 edition)
3. Report on the Japan-China Environmental Education Study Seminar, 2000
4. Participatory Environmental Education Instruction (printed in Chinese
by the Chinese Environmental Science Publishing Company), 2001
IIEJ was founded in December 1992.
E-mail inquiries may be made to email@example.com.